Thursday, December 22, 2011

Does it sound odd to you a mix set going down from upper to lower BPM tempo?


Hello comrades, I’ve got a question to ask regarding BPM level for Electronic Dance Music mix sets.

Today, I received the following feedback for set in which I started at 150 BPM and ended at 130 BPM. The feedback was:

“Great tracklist but would have preferred it to be played in reverse order, Mixes should never slow down it just sounds odd.”

I answered to him the following:

“Hello Matt, thanks for your feedback, though I got to say something in return.


Frankly, you've been the first person ever to tell me that, thus I'm led to think if that'd be only your particular preference or if it should NEVER be like that as you said.


Along the years, I've been producing mixes where I lower the tempo, increase, or yet, in the same set, I get up and down, always without spoiling the tracks with visible BPM alterations. Either DJs or mere listeners, everybody has never told me such a thing, so I wonder if you have been the very first frank person to reveal that to me :)


I'll check out other opinions from my comrades to be aware of other viewpoints; be it either as you think or not, I'll let you know. 


To wrap up, if you want, check out this 30 min classic Trance set, I deal with drastic BPM changes without spoiling the set (in my point of view and that was the same for thousands of more people). In it, I start at below 80 BPM and jump directly to slightly above 150. No much later, I return immediately to somewhat higher than 130, finally heading continuously to 140 BPM. This is the set: Bench Igloofest Competition (http://www.mixcloud.com/MarsNRG/bench-igloofest-competition/)


I have had no constraints so far, and with appreciation from listeners, so I got curious to know what other people have to say about it.


Thanks anyway, cheers from Brazil!”

Well everybody, I’d so like to check your opinions on this, could I count on you for it?

If you wish to listen, the referred set where he left the feedback is this one: House Anthems #6 (http://www.mixcloud.com/MarsNRG/house-anthems-6/), a real mixture of Techno, Hard House, Guetto House, Speed Garage, etc. all oldskool stuff. I’ve just listened again to the transitions, there are some of them that could be a lot improved, I’ve already made a lot of progress, but that’s not into question now.

This is another case in which I reduce from 140 to 128 BPM, if you, the reader, doesn't know what we are talking about: http://www.mixcloud.com/MarsNRG/puredj-trance-set-jul-2011/. At least to my ears, it sounds fine...

You can reply anonymously if you want, I'd like a set of feedbacks here, thank you so much in advance!

7 comments:

  1. There is no limit to your imagination you can do whatever yo like with your mix, you're the DJ after all.. people will certainly not argue you about some bpm change as long as you keep the music flooding

    Back in 90 DJs finish theirs live mixes with downtempo tunes, ballads, love songs, chill-out etc.. even with Goa or psychedelic, that was the standard... going from 160 to 145 then to 90 was a common system (look at some old mixes by Paul Oakenfold)...

    OK I'm gonna do a "reverse" mix just to make sure I can do it, and you're going to like it....

    Amine Mezghani

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey man, if im honest i dont see that there's anything odd about it, although if you were playing in a club then you'd want to increase the bpm rather than slow it down to keep the crowd moving and momentum going.

    DJ BurtonBase

    ReplyDelete
  3. but realistically like amine said your the dj so it doesnt matter, every dj has a unique style, your is the abilty to connect fast and slow songs perfectly and effortless, the crowd are there to listen not judge :)

    Also DJ BurtonBase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what this guy's credentials are but it sounds to me like he is making a rather ignorant statement. Think about what this kid said, “Mixes should never slow down it just sounds odd.”....
    Mixes slow down all the time, he was just looking to put his worthless 2 cents in. I will slow them down to evoke certain feeling/expression etc.
    Sorry this kid enjoys only one type of a mix, gonna get boring pretty quick. Hope he's not a DJ, because he's evidently not very versatile...
    All in all this guy needs a lesson in respect, but I wouldn't even worry about it.
    Keep up the great work and Godspeed

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel there is nothing wrong with it at all, as long as the transitions are smooth, but for hyping up the crowd, increasing the BPM builds the energy!

    DJ Wade

    ReplyDelete
  6. In general it's the decision of the deejay. For me personally I try to avoid to get slower in a set. Especially for big tempo differences it's sound droning if you're slow down to fast.
    I prefer always to start slowly and to increase the BPM. It's for me a way to build up energy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think, as long as its not done too quickly, or abruptly, that mixing different tempo's can be a great way of making the mix more cinematic. Like, think of classical music, you can have really slow bits, but then rather chaotically fast bits.

    Mixing tempos can sound bad, just like any other mixing technique, but they can make a mix better than the average mix. Like d vine says, you could start out slow and build up the tempo. I see that you can also start slow, build up, then slow down at the end. And for a longer mix, you could start slow, build up, slow down, build up, then slow down again.

    ReplyDelete